Saturday, August 23, 2008

Today, I almost died in a ghetto in Barcelona

(ok... I didn't really almost die...take a deep breath!!!)

Today was my first apartment hunting meeting. Megan (my roommate) and I woke up at 2:00om after a long night at the discoteca with our new friends Victor, Germán (ehr-MAN), and Yerki. They are the bartenders at the local bar where we go for a beer here and there. But last night they took us out to Mojito, a bumpin discoteca. IT WAS SO FUN.

So anyway, Megan and I woke up and started our adventure. We took the Metro to Liceu, the next stop after La Catalunya, where we get off for school. We ended up in Las Ramblas, which is the popular tourist strip. We found the little road and it seemed quite quaint at first. BUT THEN... all of a sudden.... Megan and I realized we were surrounded by prostitutes. Seriously. We turned around and saw that the road where the apartment was was one back from where we were. So we headed back up the street and came to this grafittied crazy old door. I looked inside and "Javier" wasn't listed on any of the mailboxes. Then...this door closed behind us, and you needed a key to get out!! So we started looking for Javier's number in my phone, just to help us escape!!! when..... the mailman walked in!! Thank god... so we ran the hell out of there and rewarded ourselves for our survival skills with our first Starbucks of the trip. It was delicious.

So anyway, that was my first iffy experience, and I lived to tell the tale. We came back to our dorm and made some more phone calls and found some more legitimate places to look into tomorrow. One of them is this lady who is renting 4 rooms out on her floor, so Megan and Mark and I (today we were thinking "why the heck didn't we bring Mark with us???") are going to look into that one together. All in all it was a very good day. We found good cheap food, had an adventure and a learning experience and still made it back to the dorm, and ended up with some more places to look at tomorrow. I know this sounds like I am an idiot, but really we were just in a bad area, and not far from the tourist area at all. So don't ridicule me too much for ending up there!!!

AND!!!!

guess what was for dinner?????? PIZZA AND CHEESEBURGERS!!!!!! ok...it was still the Spanish version of the food... but it was still sooooo goooooood. I didn't even need any bread and olive oil to fill me up. Delicous. It is 11:50 now and Megan, Mark, and Danielle and I just got back from getting some Tapas. We're looking forward to another productive day tomorrow looking for apartments and doing our homework. ugh. school.

Still haven't heard from the rugby team here, they may all just be on vacations.

That's all for now! I really enjoyed my day! And I am so proud of Megan and myself for making so many scary calls asking for apartments in Spanish!!! Most people are very nice once they learn that we are students and are here to improve our Spanish. I will try to update you on our adventures tomorrow. (Honestly, don't worry...we're staying on Gran Via De Les Corts... the same street that out university is on...we learned our lesson! Stay away from las Ramblas!!!)


Love, Besos, y Abrazos para todos. I miss you all.

Love, Karen

and check out the actuall blog if you're only receiving the emails! The format is a little different. basically if you're getting the emails, you're one of the lucky people that gets updates whenever I post something on the website. (and it will only let me choose 10 people) But on the website is where it all appears in its original context. barcelonakaren.blogspot.com

:-*


Karen and Megan at "our" bar
(Where Germán, Victor, and Yerki work)




Amy, Kelly, Abby, and Carolyn, and then Me and Mark...
he is like our big brother :-D
(oh...and then there's that rando in the very back with the mullet...
....def not in our group)

No comments: