I haven't written in a week because nothing is really new. I've also been kinda down, so the conditions haven't really been right for a nice newsy email.
Being here is hard. Not just with the language, mostly just adjusting to how things are done and being in a big city. All i want to do is buy some markers today and everything is closed because you're supposed to just sit at home and be catholic. I even had to go to starbucks for food because all the cafes were closed. ( PS even in spain they are snotty at starbucks!!! I asked for un cafe con leche and the girl goes "ummm a Latte??") It's exhausting riding the metro everywhere. My legs are killing me from all the walking. And trying to dress cute and european doesn't really allow for comfortable tennis shoe footwear. :-(
And all my music deleted out of my iTunes. randomly. I have it backed up so I still have the files, but now all my playlists and mixes are gone and nothing is organized and it's just ANOTHER thing to deal with.
Enough complaining.
I had another busy week of apartment hunting. Been stood up a few times, ended up next to the prison once (oops!) and been all over the city. I've been looking in l'Eixample, Sants-Montjuic, and Gracia, if you are interested in looking those up on a map of the barrios.
Listen to this one that I found: Room with an exterior window and view to the mountain, my own bathroom, my own extra room with desk and closets and guest bed, RUGBY PLAYER ROOMMATE (he was a guy) and a 5 minute walk from my friend Danielle's place. All for only 350 Euros a month!!!!! DESAFORTUNADAMENTE (unfortunately) i got a text from him a few hours later that another person snagged it up. DANG IT. but he gave me the website for his rugby club and told me to come hang out some time. He said they are a club of girls and guys and they're pretty horrible at rugby (he was originally from argentina and played there) but that they have a good time.
Now I am keeping my fingers crossed that this other one that I love will come through. I told the guy I really want it and he said he would like to have me, but his roommate made arrangements to show the room to some people so they'll have to let me know in a few days.
"Hola Karen, sólo estoy esperando a que lo vean entre hoy y mañana una par de personas con las que me comprometí, seguro entre hoy y mañana te digo algo, de hecho me gustaría que fueras tu, igual mi compañero se comprometió para mostrarlo a unas persona pero te digo algo en estos días."
---(That means "In fact, i would like if it was you" )
So hopefully I get that one. It is a HUGE room with my own full bathroom attached and an exterior window and balcony all to myself. Something like this normally goes for like 600 euros a month so I don't know what these guys are thinking charging 450 (which is a litttttttttle much....but at this point i just want somewhere good) and it's a deal anyway, so I'm trying to snag it. They are also students...2 guys and one girl. I'LL LET YOU ALL KNOW!!!!Now I've got to start my homework. A few papers to write and a grammar test tomorrow. yikes.
keep in touch!
(maybe you all forgot my address here, i haven't gotten any letters yet :-P )
Karen Hunt
Centro California/Illinois
Universitat de Barcelona
Facultat de Filología
Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes, 585
08007 Barcelona, SPAIN
Also, if you download skype, you can make a call from your computer to my cell phone here for a mere 2 cents a minute. So you can call me any time! www.skype.com and my number is 634-20-15-30.
OK HOMEWORK TIME
besos familia y amigos.
-KAREN
Festival de Sants, where we went last night. This is hopefully going to be my neighborhood!

No comments:
Post a Comment