Monday, August 18, 2008

El primer dia de las clases


Hola! Today was the first days of classes in our ILP (intensive language program). We have cinco clases por dia. (and I think I placed into the highest level... oops?)

1-Catalan
2-Gramatica
3-Cultura
4-Composicion
5-Conversacion

It is a very busy day. I am glad that i took a bit of Catalan before coming here. vale... Catalan is the co-official language of Catalunya, of which Barcelona is the capital. It was banned during the Franco dictatorship and now that Spain has a democracy with autonomous states, they are all obsessed with their own culture and languages. Entonces, todas las personas speak in Catalan and are very proud of it, but also speak in Spanish. Anyway, that is why we are taking that class. It is not a dialect or version of Spanish... it developed from Latin all on its own, but since the region does exist on the coast and in southern france, it is very easy to say it is a blend of Spanish and French.

ANYWAYYYY

Then I have grammar, which is my favorite class. NOT. Who likes grammar?? (Bobs....!) ;-) we are reviewing all the boring things like Ser/Estar (which are the verbs to describe something) and all the diff verbs tenses and stuff. ugh. no me gusta.

Culture is my fave class so far. I like our profe, Marcelino. I like his style and the structure. Shouldn't be a problem. He is very open and wants us to do well. Vale.

Composition and Conversation we work from the same book but have different profes. Meh... not my favorites. The composition profe is cool but the one for conversation seems like kinda a hard ass.

We take the metro to class in the morning. When we find out own apartments/living situations I am hoping to live closer to the Universitat.

vale. now I am going to organize all these new packets for my clases and quizas take a nap.

And don't worry everyone! I know how to be safe here! I have a good head on my shoulders and I know not to get blasted drunk and get lost on the metro. So please don't worry! We stay in groups or at least buddies, and we have a met a very nice group of people that work at the local gourmet restaurant and they are looking out for us as well. They aren't a bunch of greezy Spaniards trying to steal our passports or anything. :-P

OK well now that that's out of the way... jaja. ;-) Time for some homework. Blech. quizas (perhaps) unas tapas esta noche! :)

muchisimos besos.

Love Karen

2 comments:

Sarah And Pete said...

Buena Suerte Hermana!

Sarah And Pete said...

"And don't worry everyone! I know how to be safe here! "

--- yeah, we know that, but don't do anything I wouldn't do, and also don't do anything I WOULD do, that ought to cover it:)