So I found a rugby team. Last March I googled some rugby teams in Barcelona and only found mens teams online. So I emailed one of them, inquiring, and they gave my email to a womens team here. I got the info for this girl, Marta, and told her I would contact her when I made it to Barcelona. Well after much emailing and calling and misunderstanding I wandered to the field and stumbled upon a team that was NOT the one I was looking for. I spent the practice with them anyway, but it was weird and awkward and unorganized and short and just weird...I emailed Marta again and asked if someone could give me a ride to their next practice. Moral of the story is I have been practicing with these girls for a few weeks and all is well. They are good, and serious about the game, but fun to play with. The coach reminds me of any good rugby coach. He is funny but strict and hounds us about our fitness, which is good. I have their website, but it's all in Catalán, so good luck: http://rugbyinefbarcelona.
I was also set up to "babysit" for 2 Catalán families on Mondays and Tuesdays, speaking English with their 2 and 3 year old kids. But that just got WEIRD. I decided that they lived WAY to far away for what I was getting paid, the kids spoke NO english, but the parents didn't what the kids to know I spoke Catalán or Spanish so the kids just thought I was dumb and threw things at me...very strange. So I basically quit that... which was awkward and took a lot of emailing and texting...but it's all good now. I think? Actually I have no idea if they really understand that I have quit. I'm looking for families closer now, and with older children.
ANYWAY. So today was weird, and yesterday. It has been rainy and dreary for the past 3 days and the forcast is the same for the next week. UGH! and I left my umbrella in the office at school. UGH. So I don't know...I was telling Olivia today that everything just felt average. I was feeling lost and average and unimportant in a huge bustling city. Like all I do is go to my boring classes with other Americans and drink my cafe at the same cafe every day and then come home and sleep to waste time until I start all over again. (you'd think with all that free time I could update my blog more....but then what is there to update????)
But then today I cooked myself a delicious feast using real ingredients that I had to chop and cook all by myself. It was AWESOME. So that felt better. And then I made it to the rugby field without getting lost and feeling like an idiot and practice went well. I hung out with my roommates (and by roommates I mean the 3 guys that are always here who don't actually live here) and watched TV with them and actually communicated in Spanish which was good, even though I still have to have them repeat themselves a MILLION times before I can respond..and then I'm all flustered and awkward....i dunno.
Megan and I are going to go to the train station tomorrow (we have a random day of for some festival) and see where we can adventure to for a day trip. Should feel nice to do that, and not so average. Everything is going ok, but sometimes it just feels like thats it...that its just going. I also ran through fire this weekend, which also isn't average. So that's good.
I can't wait until Kristie and Matt come to visit! yayyy!
LOVE xoxox
-K

(I never found out who the guy in black is)
But then there is Rodrigo (Iñaki's brother and Alejandro's partner in opening a restaraunt), Pepe, and Martín...who was living on our couch for a while, but I just found out he is getting married in October? I don't know, it is so weird.
I tried to add a video of the firerun. But it was going to take 6 hours. So you'll just have to look up "Correfoc" on google or youtube. ;-)
peace out.

2 comments:
Karen! It sounds like things are going well. I'm glad your rugby team worked out. How's the showering going?
U of I misses you almost as much as I do, but it sounds like you are doing great, so I guess we'll just be happy for you! :) And look forward to a crazy next year!
LOVE YOU and miss you!
I love you.
miss you.
Post a Comment